Sandtray therapy is “an expressive and projective mode of psychotherapy involving the unfolding and processing of intra‐ and inter‐personal issues through the use of specific sandtray materials as a nonverbal medium of communication, led by the client or therapist and facilitated by a trained therapist” - Homeyer & Sweeney
Why Sandtray Therapy?
Sandtray therapy allows a person to construct their own microcosm using miniature toys and colored sand. The scene created acts as a reflection of the person’s own life and allows them the opportunity to resolve conflicts, remove obstacles, and gain acceptance of self.
At Kairos Counseling & Family Therapy, we understand that not all healing and growth comes from talk therapy.
- Is useful in a wide variety of settings: individuals, couples, families
- Accesses right brain symbols & emotions and implicit memories
- Brings issues to awareness, explicit memories and left-brain narrative
- Contains: naturally provides boundaries and limits
- Creates a place for the client experience control (control = safety)